The cause of strep throat is a bacteria known as Streptococcus pyogenes, also known as group A streptococcus. Although strep throat can occur at any time, it tends to circulate in winter and early spring. Strep bacteria flourishes wherever groups of people are close in contact. Strep throat accounts for only a portion of sore throats. If left untreated, strep throat can cause complicaitons, such as kidney inflammation or rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a specific type of rash, or heart valve damage.
Signs and symptoms
- Throat pain that usually comes on quickly.
- Painful swallowing
- Red and swollen tonsils. They may have white patches or streaks of pus on them.
- Tiny red spots on the back of the roof of the mouth
- Swollen, tender lymph nodes in the neck
- Nausea or vomiting, especially in younger children
- Body aches
Suspect your child may have strep throat?
We offer a Strep A test that provides molecular results in 6 minutes or less, during the patient’s visit. Our test is faster than other molecular methods and more accurate than conventional rapid tests.
We see patients on a walk-in basis, or you can call ahead.
|Monday – Friday||
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Closed for Lunch
1:00 PM- 8:00 PM
|Saturday – Sunday||9:00 AM – 6:00 PM|